A student has special educational needs if he or she has a learning need that requires special educational provisions to be made.
This policy is also designed to cover students with individual needs who may at any time require additional support or resourcing.
– have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age;
– have an individual need which either prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind provided in schools for children of the same age.
1. All our students are entitled to a full and balanced range of teaching and learning experiences. Each student will be included in the learning programmes as far as practicable and will be provided access within the broad curriculum to fully develop his/her potential.
2. Lady Elizabeth School also has a commitment to maintaining a diversity of provision to meet a range of students with additional needs in the most appropriate setting. This includes differentiating/adapting programmes and learning environments and the provision of specialised equipment or materials to support students. It recognises that students’ needs may change over the course of their schooling and the School is committed to accommodating and supporting these changes.
1. There is an expectation that all teachers will differentiate and adapt the curriculum as and when appropriate to meet the needs of all learners.
2. Lady Elizabeth has SENCO staffing in the Primary and Secondary schools to help support the needs and differentiation of the curriculum for learners in the English curriculum.
The Lady Elizabeth School has a clear process of identifying and addressing the additional needs of students, ensuring access to appropriate curriculum pathways.
The Lady Elizabeth School’s Learning Support Department (Secondary) is committed to negotiating, documenting and reviewing progress regularly with parents and class teachers through Student passports and Parent Review meetings.